[Sca-cooks] are kids taught or exposed to cooking? RE: cookbooks versus the internet

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 9 14:14:54 PST 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 3:25 PM, otsisto wrote:

> The younger generation is the computer generation. I would be surprised if
> they have ever used a cookbook. I find most teachers from Human
> Environmental Sciences (HomeEc) have their students go to the web instead of
> a cookbook because it is easy access.
> It is easier to find what you are looking for on the web, along with
> comparing same recipe with some variations to the ingredients.

It's also conceivable that material that would never get past an editor of cookbooks to be published is pretty regularly dumped onto the Web now that just about anybody can set up a website. I know that just about the time my son moved from a dorm room to an off-campus apartment, we acquired (for free) a copy of Mark Bittman's "How To Cook Everything", so now the kid is the go-to guy for any RIT students with a cooking question. Occasionally I get interesting phone calls... How do you make such-and-such??? I confess, though, to making a few instructional videos for him and sticking them up on Facebook... mostly daring feats of wok-fu...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter