[Sca-cooks] are kids taught or exposed to cooking? RE: cookbooks versus the internet

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 21:37:53 PST 2010

> > Though this is a one time incident, I wonder just how uneducated kids are
> in
> > cooking and baking.

Most of the times, you have to ask yourself, how uneducated are their
parents about cooking and baking? A lot of adults don't cook much; they'll
use microwaveable food, order out or eat at the restaurant, or use boxed
mixes and pre-marinated meat from the grocery store.

I just turned 30 so I'm not quite a kid anymore, but in my family it was
very important to cook real food and eat together sitting at the table.
There was also an interest for food in itself, not only as something that
needed to be dealt with because we were hungry.

When I was a kid, our stove was in a kitchen island; so I could sit across
from my mother (behind the stove, so to speak), and watch her when she
cooked. She usually held a running commentary while she worked; and since I
was gifted with a scientific mind, I was really curious as to the "why" of
things. Plus she'd give me bits of raw vegetables to munch on, which is
always a plus! These things get transferred to the kids. If the parents
cook, there's a good chance the kids will know a few tricks too.

But then again, I'm the kind of person who picks up just about any craft...
sewing, knitting, cooking, etc. and loves learning about a little bit of
everything. Some people simply don't have this curiosity. Or a genuine
interest in food. (Which is extremely sad.)