[Sca-cooks] Charlemange's tablecloth and period use of asbestos.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 10 23:12:45 PST 2010

Liutgard said:
<<< But in my
readings I found something rather amusing about the great Charles-
apparently he had a favorite tablecloth that after dinner, he would
gather up and throw into the fire. And pull it out again, as a party
trick of sorts. It seems it was asbestos. one would hope that he didn't
accidentally grab the wrong cloth on occasion... >>>

This may have not been the only flameproof tablecloth around and asbestos was mined and used in other ways in period as well.

Check this file in the CRAFTS section of the Florilegium:
p-asbestos-msg (8K) 1/17/10 Period use of asbestos.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/p-asbestos-msg.html

One of the mentions of Charlemange's tablecloth in this file:
<<< Apparently they did have it and they did use it from ancient Greek and Roman times. By our period it was used as insulation in suits of armour. So, much as it pains me to say, fireproof underclothes for fighters is actually period. I would advise against using it though.

There was also Charlemagne's famous fire proof tablecloth amongst other items.
http://www.unrv.com/economy/asbestos.php

John of the Hills >>>

Stefan

--------