[Sca-cooks] FW: Documentation stuff

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 11:01:37 PST 2010

This weekend I taught a class called "Documentation for Those Who HATE Documentation".
It was for people who are a bit frightened of having to put documentation at A&S competitions.
This is a very brief outline of what we talked about, maybe it will help others.

My opening statements were as follows:
"DOCUMENTATION SUCKS! I'm an artist, not an English Major! Why can't they just judge
my presentation on its own merits and not about what I write???"

The number one thing to remember about documentation is that it protects YOU.
Most judges who grade your work fall into one of two categories, Idiots and Professionals.
Idiots don't know a damned thing about what you are presenting. They may be able to
tell if it is good, professional work but nothing about the details or history of the piece.
It is your job to tell them about it. Let the idiot know that you have used period tools and
techniques. Tell them the extra steps you went through to make it period.

I'm a duke, I'm a knight and I'm a Laurel. You know what that means? I'm an expert
in every form of armor, metallurgy, leatherworking, blade-making, and anything combat
related. All knights are experts in these things. Or at least that seems to be the opinion
of the judging selection committee. But, in most of the cases, I fall into the category of
"Idiot".

The experts are just that. They know everything about what you are displaying and will
tear apart any assumptions on your part. You won't be able to fool them with modern
materials or techniques. An expert can tell if you used hand carving tools or a dremel
on your carving. Documentation will tell that expert that you also know what the period
technique is. You won't be there and talking to them so you need your documentation
to cover for you.

Here is a basic breakdown on how the documentation is constructed:

WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?
What is the piece you have displayed? What is it made of? How did you make it? What
research did you do to figure it out?

WHAT IS THE ITEM THAT IT COMES FROM?
What are you trying to reproduce? Give a description of the period piece you are attempting
to replicate.

WHAT IS SIMILAR BETWEEN THE TWO?
What materials have you used that match your item with the period piece? I once gave an entry
a low score because I marked off for non-period materials. Later research showed me that
the material used was very similar to the period. If the presenter had told me that in the documentation
I wouldn't have marked it down. This is the area you get to show off a bit. If you make an extra
effort (using period style hand tools, cooking in period cookware, tanning your own leather, etc...)
then TELL us! You can't be there to impress us so let your documentation do it for you.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE TWO?
Describe the areas they don't match up. Different materials, methods of construction, etc...
And why you did something different. If you can't find the blood of the Norther English Goshawk
to dye your leather and so used professional leather dye, then state it. If you explain why you
used a different material or technique because the original method is dangerous, unavailable,
or any other reason then you might still get a ding for non-original material or technique
but it will be much smaller because you at least you understand the difference.

SEZ WHO?
It is pretty doubtful that you are a Ph.D who is an acknowledged expert in this field. So tell us where
you got the info from. If you make a definate statement about something the just put a number next
to the statement and in the Notes section tell us where you got that. Just put the title of the book or
article, the author, when it was published. DO NOT JUST PRINT OUT A WEBPAGE! Trust me, even the
idiots can tell.

Documentation is your friend. It makes the person who is looking at your work appreciate what you have
done. Make sure you sit down with someone who knows grammer and how to spell and have them edit
it with you. Even if you are a good writer yourself have someone look at it. Statements that might make
perfect sense to you may be confusing to someone else.

Just some thoughts, I hope it helps.

Yers,

Gunthar