[Sca-cooks] period food suggestions for pot lucks

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 05:26:34 PST 2010

One dish that I've taken to potlucks with a great deal of success is to do
Digby's Savory Toasted Cheese...I do it as a fondue kind of thing (I have a
period chafing dish), with a platter of various things to dip (roast beef,
bread, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.).  It's showy, non-scary to new folks and
wonderful!

Kiri

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>wrote:

> Serena da Riva said (to Madhavi, I think):
> <<< If you want any recommendations of things that would work for potluck
> please feel free to drop me a line and I can send you some. >>>
>
> I think I may have asked a similar question here before, but I think we got
> swept off into other subjects.
>
> Serena, I'd like to get your list of suggested dishes for pot lucks.
>
> The same for others. What dishes might you suggest for an SCA event pot
> luck? My preference would be those for folks new to period cooking. My
> barony usually has a pot luck Yule Revel with the barony furnishing various
> roast meats. This year we got a few more period dishes than usual. Often it
> is just myself and one or two others that make the effort.
>
> I would like to create a file of recipes that I could refer folks new to
> period cooking to.
>
> I have made wafers for pot lucks several times in the past, but for our
> Shire's and our Barony's Yule pot lucks this year, I added "Snow" to the
> wafers and that seemed to go over especially well. Several years ago, my
> attempt at making "snow" didn't go very well. This year I followed the
> directions better and didn't mix all the ingredients together and then try
> to whip it, but kept the egg whites and the cream separate and mixed each
> pair of ingredients separately and then combined them. Okay, Duh. Just takes
> some of us a bit longer to learn...
>
> I took home some wafers and some snow from the Shire event, but only a
> crumbled wafer or two from the baronial event and no snow. They were wiping
> out the little bit remaining with their fingers!
>
> snow-msg (25K) 10/ 2/10 "Snow", a white, creamy confection often served
> with wafers.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/snow-msg.html
>
> Stefan
>
> --------
>   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince