[Sca-cooks] Xmas dinner and loot

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 21:07:36 PST 2010

My Christmas dinner didn't go quite as I plan. I usually like to prepare a Beef
Wellington and a just 2-3 side dishes to accompany and a dessert, so I can focus
on just those few dishes. However, things can get a bit complicated when you
work 200 miles from where you live. The plan was to pick up the necessary
ingredients on Christmas Eve. Got home late on Thursday, overslept on Friday...
did some things with my housemate around the house until my boys got there. Went
out to dinner and by the time we got to the stores, they were all closed. Well
there went the plans for Christmas dinner.

So we were limited to what we had on hand in the house. I had a turkey
(thankfully a small one) in the freezer. Got that in a bucket with cold water
slowly running over it and it was thawed in time to get it into the over by 2pm.
We made a quick run down to the gas station where we were able to get some milk
and eggs. My housemate made a curried parsnip soup. I had corn bread crumbs for
dressing, thankfully housemate had celery & onion. I made a loaf of Challah
 bread for the first time and cinnamon apples were made for dessert. I had put
walnuts & dried cranberries in the stuffing and made a pan gravy. Everyone
enjoyed the meal and it wasn't too much for just 4 people.

I didn't get any loot for Christmas, except a set of four plates from my sons
which we used to set the table. The money I would normally use to buy myself
something as "loot" went to getting a HDTV for the house and fabric and other
things for my upcoming elevation on January 8th.
 Euriol