[Sca-cooks] Persian cooking manuscripts?

Jim and Andi Houston jimandandi at cox.net
Wed Dec 29 13:40:53 PST 2010

My copy of Medieval Arab Cookery has finally arrived and I spent all last
evening poring over it. I have seen the book before and read through the
recipes but never really *read* the book. It was stuck in my head for some
reason that the Description of Familiar Foods was Persian, but the
manuscript was actually found in Turkey, written in the Arabic language, and
though the original culinary influence was the Persian culture, little seems
to have remained of that influence by the writing of the manuscript. I am
stumped. Is there, or is there not, an extant medieval cooking manuscript
which is truly Persian?

Madhavi