[Sca-cooks] knives -- was: The difference between a chef's knife and a santoku knife?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 15:00:20 PST 2010

The ulu is wonderful for all sorts of things...it's actually an Eskimo
version of the mezza luna!  We bought one in Alaska many years ago and I
have used it a lot!

Kiri

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Ian Kusz <sprucebranch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of knives, I have decided the ulu is the perfect implement for
> cutting pizza.
>
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > Just checked and there are numerous videos demonstrating the proper use.
> > Search under santoku knife. There's also a book on Japanese knives and
> > knife skills.
> > I use mine infrequently, but find it useful for slicing thin slices.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > On Dec 26, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote: He also got me a
> > Wusthof santoku knife with a sharpener.
> > >
> > > The knife is very lovely.  Hroar said that he had gone through my
> knifes
> > and noticed that I didn't have a santoku, which is true.  I am not sure
> how
> > to use it.  It has a straight cutting edge instead of the curved one of a
> > chef's knife.  Can anyone tell me the santoku's advantages and
> disadvantages
> > and proper use?  Thanks.
> >

> --
> Ian of Oertha

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince