[Sca-cooks] knives

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 06:29:26 PST 2010

Sorry about that.  I was under the impression, from our trip there a while
back, that Athabaskans were Native Americans, and that the Eskimos were a
different grouping.  I didn't mean to use derogatory language.  When I
purchased the knife, I was told that it was an Eskimo tool used for skinning
and preparing hides from seals, etc.  I even recall seeing information about
"Eskimo games" at the Alaskan museum in Fairbanks.  So I think your
comparison is 'way off base.  I suspect it's a reference that may be more
comparable to referring to Native Americans as "Indians."  It's not the
terminology they prefer but no where close to the ugly connotations of that
other term.  I just looked it up in Wikipedia...they do state that the term
is considered to be pejorative by Canadians and Greenlanders, but not in
Alaska.

Wiki states that the term is used to refer to peoples of the Yupik and Inuit
tribes...and that, because Inuit does not include those from the Yupik
culture, Eskimo is the more accepted term elsewhere (other than Canada and
Greenland).  Athabaskans are a separate group altogether, with no
relationship whatsoever to those included in the Eskimo grouping.  So, while
you are reacting from a Canadian point of view, I was referring to what I
had seen and been told in Alaska.

Kiri

Please, please, please refer to Northern Aboriginal Cultures as Athapaskan
> or Inuit. Eskimo is an extremely derogitive term- the same as n*gger down
> here.
>
> that being said ulus are fabulous! great rocker movement and will go
> through any type of meat/flesh you'd like and yah its pretty impressive on
> pizza. If you have a double shafted one it is likely a shorter blade and of
> Athapaskan design, If it has a single shaft the blade will be a little
> longer and kinda pie piece shaped it is Inuit design and ideal for
> butchering/skinning as well as cooking
>

> > Speaking of knives, I have decided the ulu is the perfect implement for
> > cutting pizza.
>
> > The ulu is wonderful for all sorts of things...it's actually an Eskimo
> > version of the mezza luna! We bought one in Alaska many years ago and I
> > have used it a lot!

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince