[Sca-cooks] Query about verjus...urgent!!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Dec 6 08:46:39 PST 2010

Actually the MED, Middle English Dictionary states:

Acidic juice extracted from unripe or sour fruit, chiefly grapes but
also crabapples, verjuice:
(a) generally, or as a commodity, of unspecified purpose;

(b) used in combs. or phrases specifying the type or intended or
customary use of various vessels: ~ barel, barillum ad (pro) ~, botel
~, a barrel (bottle) for storing verjuice;

(c) cook. as an ingredient in dishes or sauces; also, such considered
with regard to its medicinal or wholesome properties [last quot.]; ~
of grapes, grapes ~;

The following definitions might relate to green wheat, provided green
wheat was considered to be the same as green herbs--

(d) cook. as a sauce; also, such considered with regard to its
medicinal or wholesome qualities; also, sauce made with green herbs [=
vert-sauce n.], whether or not containing verjuice; also fig. [quot.
c1390]; ?also, the green color of such sauce [quot. c1400]; ~ sauce;
mete ~, ?a pottage of white meat in green sauce;

c1390 Disp.Virg.& Cross (Vrn)   167-8,170:  We schulde ete vr lomb in
sour vergeous; Sour vergeous mai make vr soules glad ... Sour vergeous
schal make þe deuel adrad.

e) as a tonic or medicine, usu. in the form of a drink mixed with
other liquids; also as an ingredient of topical medications; also, ?as
an herbal potion of astringent properties [quot. ?c1425];

Johnna