[Sca-cooks] "Mushroom" recipe from Eberhard

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Wed Dec 8 12:40:40 PST 2010

I seem to recall that there is another such "Christmas Mushroom" recipe in
one of Trude Ehlert's books.  When I read it I really puzzled over it.  I
didn't come up with knots from my interpretation, but I will go back and
read it again in light of this translation.  What I thought they were
doing is dipping a spear head (also a knebel) into a dough and frying it
to get the shape of a morel.  I could, however, be completely lost in
space :)  But certainly I got the sense that they were making a fake
mushroom form from a batter and frying them, cutting off the form and then
stuffing them and coating them in a fairly thin batter, frying lightly and
then finally baking them .  (A strauben is a funnel cake so it implies to
me a pancake batter consistency).

I guess knots make sense in this case because of the modifier 'zwen' or
two.  I don't know how that would work with my spearhead theory.

Katherine