[Sca-cooks] are kids taught or exposed to cooking? RE: cookbooks versus the internet

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:55:55 PST 2010

> Though this is a one time incident, I wonder just how uneducated kids are in
> cooking and baking.

My son likes to "cook" at the stove. He stands on his stool and
instructs me as to which ingredient he needs next. His palate consists
of 5 different types of salt, pepper and olive oil (the only things I
am willing to waste). I hold each ingredient for him and he pinches
out what he wants and sprinkles it into the saute pan or sauce pan
(with no flame). He then stirs and asks for more ingredients.
Occasionally I allow him to throw in a couple of frozen veggies.

He is going to be 4 next week.

I am hoping I am able to foster an interest in cooking for his entire life.

When he pretend cooks at his own kitchen he makes me all kinds of
food. One day he brought me an empty plate and said "Here's your
spaghetti" he then got a concerned look on his face and said "Oh No I
forgot the cheese". He hustled over to his kitchen, pulled out a bowl
and brought it over to my plate. Then, he took a big (imaginary) pinch
of cheese and held it over my plate making the classic rubbing fingers
sprinkling motion complete with raising his hand up at the end.

--
Serena da Riva