[Sca-cooks] Payn puff circa 1450

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Dec 10 10:52:50 PST 2010

More likely I suspect according to the Medieval English Dictionary
  "schapmonde" means

shape  (like a) mon      with de (meaning of or about).

MED (Medieval English Dictionary)  says:

mn(e (n.(1)) Also moin(e, (monei, moni  mona, monæ,  monen, monan,
monenen;  mones  monen; pl. mones,  monen,  monan.

(a) The moon as a luminous heavenly body;

(a) A picture or image of the moon; (b) the moon as used in
descriptions of moon-shaped objects; after a ~ shap, ishapen as a neue
~, like a (the) ~, like to the ~, the (a) marke of the ~, the shap of
a (the) ~.

?a1425 *Chauliac(3) (Htrn 95)   71b/b:  Þei maken boþe one concauite
off þe schappe of þe mone, in þe whiche þe firste bone off þe fote is
resceiued.

?c1425 Chauliac(2) (Paris angl.25)   161/7:  Open it in þe lowest
place after a mone schappe [F en forme de Lune].
---
Most of the recipes do not include yeast so it's only possible as a
risen yeast bread in recipes such as the
Bodeian MS Rawlinson D 1222 which is dated as 1450. There are actually
more recipes for it than have been mentioned in this discussion. Did
they leave out the yeast or did it change over time? Some took it to
be a fritter. Why?

Have you looked at the conversations in the Florilegium about it?

Johnnae