[Sca-cooks] Found on the internet while thinking of my childhood

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 26 19:42:53 PST 2010

Jim Revells said: on Dec. 13:
<<< Turns out that a recipe I was looking for on the net has a long history. I was
reminiscing about Snow Cream, because my cousin was telling me it is snowing in
TN. So I looked it up & found some period recipes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_cream >>>

That page talks about several different types of "snow" dishes. The one that is a whipped dish of egg whites and cream and a second type which is a dish similar to ice cream, which starts with some harvested, natural snow.

Jim, which type are you thinking of? The earliest I have for the first type is 1545. For the second, I don't have a period recipe. I remember making this type which I was a child, but *I'm* not old enough to be medieval. Did you find some proof of snow cream made out of real snow?

Thanks,
  Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com