[Sca-cooks] Now PC Terms Was knives

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Wed Dec 29 20:09:25 PST 2010

?

Was written:

> Please, please, please refer to Northern Aboriginal Cultures as Athapaskan
> or Inuit. Eskimo is an extremely derogitive term- the same as n*gger down
> here.

Wikipedia Entry:

In Alaska, the term Eskimo is commonly used, because it includes both Yupik
and Inupiat, while Inuit is not accepted as a collective term or even
specifically used for Inupiat. No universal replacement term for Eskimo,
inclusive of all Inuit and Yupik people, is accepted across the geographical
area inhabited by the Inuit and Yupik peoples.[1] In Canada and Greenland,
the term Eskimo has fallen out of favour, as it is considered pejorative by
the natives and has been replaced by the term Inuit.

Personal note:

Last I was in the Arctic was for a seismic cruise north out of Dutch Harbor
back in the early '80s.  Visited the legendary Elbow Room in Unalaska.  It
was reputed to be rated by Playboy as one of the 10 worst/dangerous bars in
the US. Don't go looking for it as it closed in 2007.