[Sca-cooks] Thoughts on Adam Gopnik's Sweet Revolution in the New Yorker

Daniel Myers dmyers at medievalcookery.com
Thu Dec 30 22:12:49 PST 2010

While I wouldn't deny the possibility that Europe learned to mix sweet
and savory from the Persians or Ottomans, I find the claim that it was
introduced in the 14th century with the dish of "tavuk gögüs" to be
questionable.

There is a recipe in the "Harpestreng" cookbook (Codex Q - northern
Europe, probably pre 1300) that is clearly a similar dish and is likely
a precursor to Blancmanger.

"Recipe XXXII - One should take hen's meat from a boiled breast and chop
it small.  Add almond milk to it in a pot, and a quarter as much of
sugar as there is meat, and as much lard as there is sugar, and salt.
Let it cook together on the embers, and stir it continually."

There's also a dish from De re coquinaria (Apicius, Rome ca. 400) that
involves adding honey to a chicken dish, which could conceivably be some
sort of precursor.

Does Gopnik present any strong evidence that blancmanger came from
Persia or the Ottoman empire?

- Doc