[Sca-cooks] Two candy questions.....

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Dec 3 08:50:23 PST 2010

Caramel?

I am tempted to say what do you exactly mean by caramel?

The sugar stage? The candy?

OED says: Etymology:  < French caramel, < Spanish caramelo (Italian
caramello, Portuguese caramelo) , of uncertain origin.
Scheler suggests that the Spanish represents Latin calamellus little
tube, in reference to its tubular form; Mahn thinks it from medieval
Latin cannamella sugar-cane: an Arabic source is conjectured by Littré.

  a. A black or brown porous substance obtained by heating sugar to
about 210° C., by which it loses two equivalents of water; burnt
sugar. It is used for colouring spirits, etc.
   b. A kind of ‘candy’ or sweet.

Seems to be 18th century.
1725    R. Bradley Chomel's Dict. Œcon. (at cited word),   Sugar, When
it is boiled to Caramel, it breaks and cracks.

caramelised, 18– caramelized. meaning
            That has been turned into caramel; covered or glazed with
caramel; heated or cooked until brown in colour and sweet in taste.

19th century.
1846    Debow's Rev. Nov. 343   The syrup is becoming more and more
heated, that which is on the edges of the surface next to the metal
becomes burnt or caramelized.
---
Here's another:

"caramel   Caramel is sugar which has been cooked until it turns
brown. The word caramel is a comparatively late introduction into
English: it is first recorded in 1725. It came via French from Spanish
caramelo, but its previous history is speculative; its most likely
source is perhaps late Latin calamellus, a diminutive form of Latin
calamus, ‘reed, cane’ (the implied reference being to
‘sugarcane’). The sweets caramels, a soft form of toffee, are made
with sugar and milk, butter, or cream."

How to cite this entry:
"caramel"  An A-Z of Food and Drink. Ed. John Ayto. Oxford university
Press, 2002. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Press.

---
Countess Alys has done an article on sugar temperatures which was
published in TI.
You might like that.

Boiled candy- we've discussed this before. See the Pulled Sugar file
in the Florilegium