[Sca-cooks] Payn puff

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Wed Dec 8 12:49:53 PST 2010

Has anyone here made any kind of payn puff? If so, what kind, from
what recipe, and how did it come out?

I've just started experimenting, based on Curye on Inglysch (IV 204, &
203), interpolating the pastry from MS Ashmole 1393 as described in
the glossary of Curye on Inglysch. After the first test, I've
concluded that minced medjool dates are hard to mix into the filling
(they like to stick to each other), and making the pastry by adding
flour to a mixture of mostly cream until it was thick and solid
resulted in a dry, bland crust. I used hard-boiled egg yolks in the
filling (as implied by the Proper Newe Booke of Cokerie), and they
seemed to make the filling a bit dryer, where the crust was already
dry. For the next test, I'm considering cutting down on the egg yolks
in the filling, using a less mushy/sticky kind of date, and/or mixing
the pastry to a softer consistency.

--
Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark