[Sca-cooks] Galloway banqueting

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Dec 8 15:43:29 PST 2010

Here's an interesting possible source for food in Scotland:

The book:
The hereditary sheriffs of Galloway : their "forebears" and friends,
their courts and customs of their times : with notes of the early
history, ecclesiastical legends, the baronage and place-names of the
province
Author:	Andrew Agnew, Sir
Publisher:	Edinburgh : D. Douglas, 1893.
  It's up on Google Books.

Chapter XVII
A.D. 1498-1506
is titled "Baronial Banqueting." pages 307-318.

"These were days of fun and feasting, any incidental notices of which
are doubly agreeable; because, whilst the wrong-doings and bickerings
of society are minutely chronicled, we are told little of the merry-
makings and lighter occupations of our ancestors. Yet, if our forbears
were somewhat violent and prone to enter into "bands" in gendering
feud, they were fully alive to the claims of hospitality. If the baron
was too often to be seen issuing from his gate, " boden in fere of
wear," the baronial halls were frequent scenes of the friendly rivalry
of their ladies, whose red-letter days were those which marked their
triumph of culinary skill; and we shall for a moment try to penetrate
the mysteries of the kitchen and housewifery, with the aid of the
slight clues we have to guide us."

The text contains mentions and lists from various inventories
supplemented with notes from various EETS volumes.

Johnnae, playing librarian