[Sca-cooks] Redactions for SCA use?

Jim and Andi Houston jimandandi at cox.net
Wed Dec 8 21:08:54 PST 2010

Hey everyone,

Our Baroness has issued a challenge for an upcoming local Barony holiday
potluck. She wants to see as many people bring medieval food as possible. As
the Barony's A&S officer (and the person who's been championing this idea
the whole way) I have offered to provide a wide range of already-redacted
recipes for people to choose from. Many people are interested in
participating but feel they can't redact recipes from period manuscripts. I
want to make this as painless as possible, since the whole point is to
entice more people to try cooking period dishes. These dishes will not be
"judged" in any way.

My biggest concern right now is violating copyright. I know that posting
links on our Barony's website to sites like the Miscellany is okay. What
about printing off recipes and distributing them at meetings? Is it okay if
I include where I got the recipe? Do I need to ask permission for each and
every recipe?

Let me know what you all think.

Madhavi