[Sca-cooks] Spice jars

Glenn Gorsuch ggorsuch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 15:16:41 PST 2010

Depends on how much you use, and for how long you're cooking, of course.

For a weekend long camp event, I tend to use a selection of watchmaker tins,
that have clear tops, and fit into a flat, hinged lidded tray.  These came
from leevalley.com (search on watchmaker tins), and were really quite cheap
(3 of these trays, each holding 15 tins were something around $10, 10 years
ago.  The size I have holds, oh, maybe a quarter cup each, and that's plenty
of a given spice for a given weekend.  And having 45 containers, each neatly
labelled and sorted alphabetically is a blessing when you're cooking in
limited light and don't want to mistake your cubebs with your juniper
berries.  The size is also great because I DO have to refill things fairly
often, and don't end up with stuff a few seasons old.

Ah, here's a link:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=44948&cat=1,43326,44948

They have a number of different sizes, and for the period aspect, I'd note
they fit nicely into a little wooden box used for the purpose (in our camp,
this setup is known as "the Spice Weasel", borrowed from Futurama...)

Gwyn