[Sca-cooks] When is it Plagiarism and When is it a Redaction?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 5 07:23:09 PST 2010

Greetings!  I think I know the answer, but I thought I would see what
you all had to say.  I have been reading someone's work where the person
says that the item is their "redaction" from someone else's recipe.  The
differences between the original and the "redaction" are (to me)
exceedingly minor.  What would you say?

Here is the modern version of a recipe:

8 cups of any combination of spinach, cabbage, beet greens, onion,
    leeks, parsley, etc., chopped
1 stick (1/4 lb.) of butter
salt to taste
1 cup diced bread or unseasoned croutons

Cover greens with water; add butter and bring to a boil; add salt.
Reduce heat & cook until vegetables are tender; drain. Place bread or
croutons in serving bowl and cover with cooked greens.

Here is what someone has called their redaction of the recipe, above:

8 cups of any combination of spinach, cabbage, beet greens, onions,
    leeks, parsley, etc., chopped
4 Tablespoons olive oil (you can use 1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter
Salt to taste (use sea salt)

Cover greens with water; add butter or oil and bring to a boil; add
salt.  Reduce heat and cook until vegetables are tender; drain.
(Author’s redaction)

Would the second person be said have plagiarized the first recipe?  Or
are the few changes enough to make the recipe "their own"?

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com