[Sca-cooks] More Italian queries

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sat Feb 6 02:48:36 PST 2010

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 08:51:02 -0700
From: edoard at medievalcookery.com
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] More Italian queries
<20100204085102.40fb9d919689a55a6cf6c28f2e8e3e5f.7f5dcaffbd.wbe at email.secure
server.net>

Here are some possibilities based upon possible spelling variants from
Florio's 1611
(note that I know squat about Italian, so these are just my guesses as a
language geek):

> Iapigio: No idea. One recipe asks you to take a pound of pork loin
> cut fine, wash it and put it "al iapigio." The dictionary says Iapiga
> is the western wind.

Appogio, a rest, a stay, or leaning upon. [?]

'To the west wind' as an idiom for something, perhaps hanging it up
(although this would be an odd thing to do after cutting it up)?

> Panniccia: They suggest panic. I doubt it.

Pannicula carnosa, a fleshie membrane or pannicle or skin that lieth
next under the fat of the outward parts, and is the fourth cover
that wrapppeth  all the bodie over.

Or some kind of bread?

> Tigete: Possibly related to below. Either a feminine noun, or an
> adverb applying to a verb applying to a feminine pronoun. Context:
> "...and put in an onion cut minutely and a decent quantity of salt,
> and depress (lower) the (or it, feminine) tigete to half..." The
> feminine thing for it to refer back to would probably either be the
> eel you're cooking or the pot you're cooking it in, more likely the
> former.

The -ete ending is also a verb (at least in modern Italian). The context
almost seems to suggest it implies 'reduce'.

Angharad