[Sca-cooks] Apples....

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Feb 6 23:03:25 PST 2010

For most of period, pippin is a reference to any apple from a tree grown
from seed (pip).  In the 16th Century, the term came to refer to a hard,
late ripening, long lasting apple of acid flavor (Davidson).  The original
pippins were mostly cider apples.

Most of the varieties currently referred to as "Pippins" are of 18th, 19th
and 20th Century origin.

So, depending on when the recipes were written down, your friend may want to
go with a period apple, such as an Annurca (Italian, probably the apple
referenced by Pliny) or a White Pearmain (England, 1204) or work
specifically with one of the "pippins."  The Newton (or Albemarle) Pippin
isn't period (early 18th Century) or European (bing a NA cultivar), but it
may be a good choice for availability.

Bear