[Sca-cooks] Questions on theory and proof

Celia des Archier CeliadesArchier at cox.net
Sun Feb 7 21:37:11 PST 2010

I said:
> I'd enjoy hearing you expand on the last, however... In what
> way does absence of proof suggest where to look for proof?

And Daniel replied
> In determining the limits of what we don't know we can on
> occasion deduce where we need to look or, more to the point,
> how to go about looking.  The problem with the results of
> looking lies in both our pre-conceptions and incomplete data
> obtained.  The blind men and the elephant is a cautionary tale.

I guess that's where you lose me ... From my perspective, there *are* no
limits on what we *don't* know, that realm is pragmatically infinite. What we
*do* know, however, is very, very finite. ;-)  But I think I grasp your point
a little better, and appreciate you taking the time to clarify for me.  And I
certainly accept the last two sentances, that the problem lies in boht our
pre-conceptions *and* incomplete data.

In service,
Celia