[Sca-cooks] spelling

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 7 21:49:16 PST 2010

--- On Sun, 2/7/10, Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 'i' before 'e', except after 'c', or in the case of
> 'neighbor' or 'weigh'.
>
> Huette
Repsected friend:
My mother taught Special Education English for a long, long time. The above goes back at least to the 1700s as "I before E, except after C or when sounded like A as in neighbor and weigh"
   So the rhyme originally included that whole class.
Actually, there are about 95 spelling rules in English. If you know them all, you will be able to figure out-- using only phonics-- over 91% of the 30,00 most commonly used words in English, and very nearly all of the rest.
   (Which applies to cooking because those 95 rules turn most period English spelling into fairly obvious phonics.)

> Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

If you're doing your best, and your best isn't very good, that's life. If you aren't doing your best, _that's cheating_.