[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 46, Issue 27

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 11 07:48:29 PST 2010

On Feb 11, 2010, at 5:53 AM, Claire Clarke wrote:

> Yeah, I can't say I've seen any (pre-16th century) period recipe for dough
> (where they actually describe the dough) mention shortening. Sometimes there
> are eggs (which are not permitted in Lent, but are on some other fast days)
> and/or almond milk. This could be because 'everyone knew' how to make normal
> pastry so the only time they described it was when it was different, but I
> suspect it was mostly flour and water paste (it's not that unpleasant), with
> almond milk and eggs for more delicate cases (if you'll excuse the pun).

I think there's one 14th-century French description of a pie dough being made with little bits of lard (probably unrendered). I remember getting into an... erm... animated, respectful discussion... here on this list several years ago on a point of translation, with someone whose French is a lot better than mine.

However, I'm not aware of any specific suggestions on what to do in Lent when lard or other animal fat is out.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter