[Sca-cooks] A question about meat-

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 17 11:58:45 PST 2010

--- Laura C. Minnick <lcm at jeffnet.org> schrieb am Mi, 17.2.2010:

> Von: Laura C. Minnick <lcm at jeffnet.org>
> Betreff: Re: [Sca-cooks] A question about meat-
> An: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Datum: Mittwoch, 17. Februar, 2010 10:01 Uhr
> Volker Bach wrote:

> >  It's very likely. The Lorsch MS, an
> eighth-century medical text, includes, among various
> collections purportedly from Hippocrates,. Galen and
> Aristotle (all spurious), an abbreviated version of
> Anthimus' letter.
> >
> Ooohh... there's a thread to chase...

Stoll, Ulrich: Das Lorscher Arzneibuch, Beihefte Sudhoffs Archiv Zeitschrift für Wissenschaftsgeschichte 28, Franz Steiner Verlag, stuttgart 1992.

Very much worthwhile if you're a Carolingian, or just curious. Not too much culinary content, though.

> > That said, even if we do find a reference to humoral
> theory in any of these texts it is not a given that that's
> what Charlemagne's doctors referred to.. There was not yet
> an established form of training and accreditation, and we
> know that at least in Merovingian times, doctors came from
> all kinds of backgrounds and used whatever methods worked
> for them.
> >
> It seems that most of the doctors came from the ranks of
> the theologians at that point, keeping in mind that most
> higher education was, by definition, theology. Even Alcuin
> had some things to say on medicine. No clue how Charles'
> specific doctors might have had by way of training though.

I'm not that sure wecan be that sure. The tradition that would come to dominate scholarly medicine originates in monasteries, yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't a lay medical tradition. I haven't been chasing this too long, but from what I've read the leechdoms of the Anglo-Saxon world stem from a world outside monastic walls, and in Merovingian times we have solid evidence of non-clerical physicians serving the highest ranks of society. And Charlemagne's empire included Lombard Italy and Aquitaine, areas where the tradition of lay literacy is believedf to have been much stronger than in Austrasia or Germany.

> > What's cookong in Corbie? I worked on Cluniac signa
> lists a liong time ago, if you think it can help  with
> your project I can send you the article draft I came up with
> then.
> > Giano
> >
> Right now I'm looking for records or annals from roughly c.
> 770-775. Just before Adalhard became the Abbot. It was a
> dual house, and it appears that when Desiderius of Lombardy
> was deposed, Charles sent him to Corbie for safekeeping- and
> accompanying him by some accounts, was his daughter, who
> Charles had just divorced. I came across a toss-off remark
> that she had died in childbirth shortly after arriving
> there, and I want to see if I can substantiate it at all. If
> it's true there are all sorts of interesting
> possibilities...

Ah, non-culinary stuff. I can#t help you there, unfortunately.

YIS

giano