[Sca-cooks] Looking for a Roman sweet

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 17 14:11:45 PST 2010

I don't have the Roman Feudal Gourmet. But i suspect the date
suggestion is probably for Dulcia Domestica:

DULCIA DOMESTICA
palmulas uel dactylos excepto semine, nuce uel nucleis uel pipere
trito infercies. sale foris contingis, frigis in melle cocto, et
inferes.

Home-made Sweet
Fresh or dried dates seeds taken out, stuff with walnuts or pine nuts
or ground pepper. Roll in salt, fry in cooked honey, and serve.

Here is how i interpret the procedure:

Fill each pitted date with a walnut half or a couple pine nuts or a
little ground pepper... I'd suggest trying some with one kind of nuts
and a little pepper. Pepper was a huge luxury to the Romans.

Sprinkle dates with a little salt, or roll them in salt, depending on
how much. Might be good with one of those regional specialty salts.

Heat a relatively shallow layer of honey in a heavy pan until it
boils, then turn heat down.
Add dates in a single layer and cook in honey on low heat for about 5
to 10 minutes. I haven't made this recipe, but in my experiences,
cooking dates in honey for too long, well, the dates start to
dissolve...

--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita

I have done this recipe, and it is WONDERFUL.  Making enough of the stuffed
dates is a bit tedious when preparing a feast for 150, but well worth the
effort.

Mairi Ceilidh