[Sca-cooks] Eat up---It's National Something Day

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 08:48:40 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Kathleen A Roberts wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:03:15 -0500
>>  Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ever wonder about all those food holidays?
>>>

>> well, although i consider st. patrick's day to be a legit holiday, its
>> offshoot, "amatuer drinkers' day" is not!
>>
>> i'll have my guiness at home, thanky, with some CB&C.
>>
>> cailte
>>
> National Green Food Coloring Day?  <grin, duck, run>
>
> Selene

A quote from British TV:

Stephen Fry:  Do you drink it?
Dara O'briain: Guinness? No. No, no, no.  I've served it, a few times, know
how to pull it, correctly; which is a piece of information that hasn't
transferred over here, at all.
Fry:  (garbled question)
Dara: You have to let it sit down, go back, and THEN you have to push it
back so not more gas goes into it; 5/12ths of an inch is...is the ideal head
around the top.
  AND, if somebody paints a shamrock into it, you're allowed to stab him in
the eye with a fork.
Fry: (laughter)
Audience: (claps)
Dara: and I remember I worked in a pub in the town where I grew up in, and
it was a very tough pub, and they wouldn't take a Guinness off me, until I'd
been there for a while.
Fry:  REally? (imitating Irish accent, badly) Eh, he's not....he doesn't
know how to do it....
Dara: (pensively) Well, the pub I was in ....(audience laughter) The pub I
was in wasn't IN...in a movie from the fifties....(audience laughs) ....but,
ah....
Fry: (loses it)
Fry: (recovering) (in bad Irish accent, a la Darby O'Gill) Was it not in the
land of the bogs and the little people?
Dara: (snorts and laughs) No.
Fry: (accent still) Was it not, so it wasn't?
Dara: No.  Surprising, I had to work just OUTSIDE the land of the
bogs....you could look over the wall to the wee world where the tiny people
pranced and danced....

--
Ian of Oertha