[Sca-cooks] Table Fat, was Pie dough

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:07:35 PST 2010

rendered chicken fat is called schmaltz.  We used it on Friday nights when
we couldn't have butter (and before kosher, parve margarine - which is AWFUL
but sometimes necessary).  My mother kept a jar in the fridge - she'd render
down the fat (no onions, no salt) and then we'd have it when we needed it.
I miss that!  It's what we used when we made chopped liver.

The little bits of skin left over from the rendering are called gribbens -
yum (deadly but yum).  Don't even get me started on helzel... I just gained
10 pounds writing this and I'm starving!

Yes - I know for a lot of people keeping a Kosher home is a 24/7 thing but
we did not keep a kosher home after we moved from civilzation to upstate
"white bread" Central New York.  We did keep "kosher style" for Friday
nights and holidays.  Don't yell at me - it's just the way it was.  No need
to correct me either - I know the difference, I know people don't agree with
how I was raised but it is what it is.

-S