[Sca-cooks] was Table Fat is Schmalz

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Wed Feb 24 12:10:52 PST 2010

Oh, pig is't Kosher but Schmalz is only a generic name for fat obviously.

Jiddisch and German are very closely related so in both languages it means a
different fat.

So that is why you should check where your recipe is from, e.g. "Germany" is
not enough. You'll have to find out if it is from a *general* source or from
a specific culture background.

 I  would have missed that, and probably thought of asking WHAT schmalz it
could be in a jewish text, only when I had all on the table. So like Susan
said I never thought of something else as Pigs fat as Schmalz. Now I know
and will remeber to ask especially with jewish cooking: could that be what I
think it is or not.

Katharina