[Sca-cooks] Pomegranate seeds

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Feb 26 05:43:00 PST 2010

I suppose the question is what did the pomegranate add to the dish?

Using Doc's handy dandy search tool at medievalcookery.com and
concentrating
on the English recipes and the pomegranate, we can come up with these :

Forme of Cury

XXXIX - FOR TO MAKE COMYN   wyth graynis of Poungarnetts

Sawse Sarzyne. XX.IIII. IIII.  messe it forth. and florish it with
Pommegarnet.

Fourme of Curye [Rylands MS 7]

.lxxxij. Sauce sarzyne. messe hit forth, & florysche hit with poume
garnet,

Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books

Cxxxij - Sauke (Note: Sauce) Sarsoun.

and Florche (Note: Flourish; garnish) it a-bouyn with Pome-garned, and
messe it; serue it forth.

Saug saraser. florissh hit aboue with pomme-garnet, and 3if forth.

(This sauce appears elsewhere. Here we have

Libro di cucina / Libro per cuoco
(Italy, 14th/15th c. - Louise Smithson, trans.)

LXXXVIII - Saracen style sauce. If you want to make saracen style
sauce take almonds, currants, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, grains of
paradise, cardamom, galangal and nutmeg; mix every thing together and
temper with verjuice; this is a good relish.

Note here there are grains of paradise but no pomegranate.)

This one at 1615 is much later:

A NEVV BOOKE of Cookerie
To garnish your Dishes. GArnish your Dishes round about with fine
Sugar: take Orengado dipt among Biskets and Carrawaies. Take a
Pomegranate, and garnish the side of your Dish with it,

A number of the dishes call for being colored first (coloure it with
Alkenade) so maybe the purpose of the flourishing was just to add
a few bits of color. How many of these recipes after all call for that
final strew it with spice powders or sugar and serve forth?

Johnnae