[Sca-cooks] Pomegranate seeds

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Feb 26 07:00:11 PST 2010

So what did they add to a dish?

The 1572 Huloets dictionarie newelye corrected says:

Kernell. Granum, ni. Grain. S. Vt punica grana. The kernelles of a
pomegranate. Les grains d' vne granade. S. Et Granellum. Ang. A litle
kernell.

  Pomegranate. Apyrina. plur. Malum punicū, Ma|lum granatum. Pomme de
granade. H.

¶The pomegranate rynde whiche couereth it about. Malicorium, Corium
cortexué punici mali. L'escoree d'vn granad. ye flower. Citinus, Flos
mali satiuae punicae, & Balaustium, siluestris punicae flos. Le fleur
d' vn granadier. the grayne. Acinus, vel semen.

Le grain de la pomme granade. ye little skynne wherein the grayne is
closed. Tunica acini, vel folliculus. La cote du grain. the Kernells.
Acinorū nuclei, Semina, Vinacea. Les pepins. And ye smale skynne that
deuideth the graines in the pomegranate. Cicus, vel cicum, vel ciccum,
Membrana tenuis acinos in malo pu?nico discriminans. H.

-------

I checked the dietary advice offered in 1599 by Henry Buttes.
In Dyets dry dinner consisting of eight seuerall courses,  he writes:
  Pomegranats.

Choise. SWéete: ripe: big: with great kernels: whose rinde comes
easily off: the sharpe full of iuyce

Vse. The swéete, excite Venus: good for the stomacke, brest, cough:
the sharpe, for hot liuers and agues.

Hurt. The swéet bréed wind and heat, naught in feuers: the sharp
offend the teeth and gummes; constrains(?) the brest; naught for old
folkes.

Correcti|on. Eate the kernelles of both together.

Degree. The swéete are temperatly hot and moyst: the sower colde, and
somewhat binding.

Season. Age. Constitu|tion. The swéet in winter, for all: she sharpe
in sommer for youth, and chollerists.
----
  I did come across a note indicating Karen Hess thought barberries
were used as a substitute for the pomegranate.

Johnnae

On Feb 26, 2010, at 8:43 AM, I asked earlier :
I suppose the question is what did the pomegranate add to the dish?