[Sca-cooks] Apples....

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 6 17:27:00 PST 2010

Finding an apple that resembles any of the varieties identified in period sort of depends on the availability of varieties AT you local grocery store.  Around here - rather a lot.  Two dozen varieties are not an uncommon site - in season.  "American produce department" doesn't mean a lot.

If we're talking a typical MegaMart with around 5 or 6 varieties - try for a Golden Delicious, or maybe a Jonalicious.  If you've got a Whole Foods or Fresh Market nearby you might try for GingerGold, Empire, or Snow apples.  You're not real likely to run into Cox Orange Pippin or Glory of York.

Most period apple varieties tend to be sweet, and have russeted skin.  Which is why they've fallen out of favor - we like shiny apples, no matter the color.  Russeting is considered a flaw.

Femke

- Douglas Adams