[Sca-cooks] New Email address

Celia des Archier CeliadesArchier at cox.net
Sun Feb 7 21:56:14 PST 2010

Apologies for losing the attributes - but someone said:
> The problem with the English language is that for every
> example to prove one theory, you can find at least one other
> example to disprove it.
>
> duke = dyook?  puke = pyook?
>
> How about Luke?  Or nuke?  Or fluke?  None of them are
> pronounced with that extra vowel.  Not even in Britain.  We
> don't say Lyook or nyook.  Fluke is a nice Old English word.
> It isn't pronounced flyook.
>
> And who really thinks that ook should be pronounced ewk?  Not
> words like look, book, or cook.  Let's go kewk some food!
> That is not how it is pronounced.  Not even in Britain.  The
> double o's in cook are not pronounced the same as in coon or spoon.

Actually, I've heard lyook, nyook and kewk in different dialects.  Some
English dialects are so far from either General American ("standard English"
as spoken by Americans) or RP (Received Pronunciation, or "standard English"
as spoken in England) as to require captioning for people who do speak either
General American or RP. For those interested, here is a lovely website, with
lots of audio on different dialects of English:

http://web.ku.edu/~idea/

Specifically you might want to check out the recordings from England
(http://web.ku.edu/~idea/europe/england/england.htm) and listen carefully at
the first of the recordings for the words "duke", "foot" and "goose".  A few
of them even have phonetic transcripts, if you can read phonetic notation.

In service,
Celia