[Sca-cooks] Oatmeal was Buttered wortes/oatmeal

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Tue Feb 9 11:45:43 PST 2010

>What is the difference between Rolled Irish Oats and American Oats
>then? Or is there a difference?
>Aelina

Ah, the vagaries of the Internet!  I haven't received Johanna's
Quaker Oats post yet, except as included here!

Anyway... I went a-googlin' and from what I found in about 5 minutes,
there's probably not a significant difference between Irish rolled
oats (or "Irish flaked oats" as the McCann's page calls them) and
American Quaker-style rolled oats.

The term "Irish oats" appears to be steel cut oats, from Irish-grown
oats.  The McCann's blurb says Counties Meath & Kildare, humid
conditions and clean water make for "fuller, plumper grains".

And there's "Scottish Oats are steamed steel-cut oats that are then
ground by stones into an oat meal." (Wiki)

And the definition of "steel cut", which is pretty familiar, eh?:
"whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have
been cut into only two or three pieces by steel rather than being
rolled." (Wiki)

"Oatmeal" can cover a lot of ground, from fine-ground groats to
rolled, to steel-cut.  See the Wiki article.

Hope this helps, rather than just add confusion! 8-)
chimene