[Sca-cooks] Oatmeal was Buttered wortes/oatmeal

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 20:33:38 PST 2010

--- On Tue, 2/9/10, H Westerlund-Davis <yaini0625 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Are Quaker Oats cut with steel or
> some other fashion? When looking for gluten free oats there
> are a lot of steel cut oats. From what I understand is that
> oats themselves are gluten free, however in the processing
> wheat grain gets mixed in with the oats. Was wondering if
> the steel cut is a cleaner cut then rolled?
> In recent years Quaker Oats have made an effort to keep
> their oats gluten free. For now I know that Bob's Red Hill
> Mill is the only 100% gluten free.
> Aelina the Saami
Respected friend:
     No, it has nothing to do with the processing method- except in the very limited sense that stone-ground oats from a mixed grain mill will never be gluten-free, whereas any rolling or cutting machine could, theoretically, be cleaned enough to re-purpose for gluten-free grains.
     If oats are not prepared in a segregated, gluten-free facility/factory, there will be gluten contamination. This is why McCann's oats are GF enough for some people- McCann's only makes oat products. However, the problem starts further back. Oats are the 'shady lady' of the grain world- they'll cross-pollinate with anything. So if there's a wheat/rye/barley field within a mile of your oat field, you don't have pure GF oats, no matter what you do next. Ditto oats grown in rotation after wheat, barley, or rye.
     There are now a couple-three brands of GF oats, but Bob's is the cheapest so far if you live in the continental US. It might be different elsewhere.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

If you're doing your best, and your best isn't very good, that's life. If you aren't doing your best, _that's cheating_.