[Sca-cooks] Ken Albala's Eating Right in the Renaissance

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 16 11:43:27 PST 2010

I haven't gotten that deeply into the book yet, but Albala is essentially asking the same questions you are. :-)

I'll have to dig up an interesting quote he used in the introduction, from a French text from the mid-1500s, where the writer comments that people at table ask the physician whether this food is good for them, or that food is good for them, and don't take the physician's advice but use the discussion as entertainment while eating. That reminds me of the conferences I've been to, where people will chat about Atkins vs. South Beach vs. Weight Watchers, while eyeing up (or indulging) in the dessert buffet.

Albala does discuss at length humoral theories and the switch from the earlier periods of the 1300s, in which recipes and theories and texts of the Arabs were popular, to the 1500s, where the emphasis began to be placed on the classical Greek theories and texts. And just like today, there were scads of books on "proper" diets, so the amount of advice out there was pretty bewildering.

YIS,
Adelisa di Salerno