[Sca-cooks] 12th Century

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Feb 16 12:41:29 PST 2010

The earliest for Anglo-Norman is
Hieatt, Constance B., and Robin F. Jones. "Two Anglo-Norman

      culinary collections edited from British Library Manuscripts

      additional 32085 and Royal 12.C.xii." Speculum 61:4 (1986)

      p.859-882.

It's up on JSTOR, so maybe you can get it through your local library.

Then perhaps you should also see about a copy of the LIBELLUS DE ARTE
COQUINARIA AN EARLY NORTHERN COOKBOOK, as edited by Grewe and Hieatt.
The LIBELLUS is among the oldest of culinary recipe collections &
dates from the early thirteenth century. It survives in 4 versions in
three languages... Danish, Icelandic, & Low German. It is thought to
date back to possibly even the 12th century. It's a small collection
of only 35 recipes and was published as part of the Collection
included in AN OLD ICELANDIC MEDICAL MISCELLANY [Ms. Royal Irish
Academy 23D 43.]in 1931 by Henning Larsen.

This 158 page book brings together the four versions, translates them,
adds textual notes, commentary indices, glossaries, and
bibliographies. 2001. Full title: Libellus De Arte Coquinaria: An
Early Northern Cookery Book (Medieval and Renaissance Texts and Studies)

Johnnae