[Sca-cooks] A question about meat-

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Feb 16 12:57:59 PST 2010

What comes to mind is another book for you to look at--

Medieval dietetics: Food and drink in regimen sanitatis literature
from 800 to 1400 by Adamson?
(Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 1995)
The book explores the connection between cooking and preventive
medicine by centering on the food and drink section, cibus et potus,
in 23 medieval Latin and German regimina sanitatis. A brief history of
the four-humor theory and the six non-naturals is followed by the
analysis of each regimen, including information on the text, the role
of cibus et potus
within the non-naturals, its contents (general guidelines on nutrition,
dietetic lists of foodstuffs, and culinary recipes), use of the gradus-
system, as well as sources and dependencies with other regimina.
In the conclusion the results are arranged in chart-form; an appendix
contains the transcription of a 15th-century German translation of
Anthimus' «De observatione ciborum.»
----
Copies are really expensive, if one can be found at all. I would try
interlibrary loan.
I bought my copy in 2005. It was both expensive and time consuming.

Johnnae