[Sca-cooks] A question about meat-

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Feb 16 20:43:48 PST 2010

The information about Charlemagne is from Einhard's The Life of Charlemagne
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/einhard.html .  Einhard was a
contemporary of Charlemagne and served in several capacities in Chalemagne's
court.

As I understand it, moist/dry are qualities of food stuffs (and other
things) that need to be balanced in relation to to four humors (blood,
phlegm, yellow bile and black bile).  Youths are moist while adults get
progressively drier as they age.  Beef has the quality of being dry that
becomes drier with roasting, moister with boiling.  So to maintain the
correct mixture of food qualities for balancing the humors of an aging
adult, meat, especially beef which is one of the driest meats, needs to be
cooked in a moist manner.  I don't think the cooking method would do much to
the lipoprotein levels found in the meat, where switching from beef to fish
would.  Wanna bet who won the roasting argument?

I use Powell, Galen On the Properties of Foodstuffs for most of my humoral
information, but there are a couple of pricier books on humoral theory which
are probably better.  Devra had them in stock about a year ago when I saw
her at ICG.

I've had a couple of insanely busy weeks culimanting today with fitting a
permanent crown that has been waiting on my sinuses for two months.  It's
good to have time finally to get back in the conversation.

Bear