[Sca-cooks] Pie dough - the elusive footnote

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Wed Feb 17 01:37:00 PST 2010

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:44:29 -0500
From: Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Pie dough - the elusive footnote

  I did some searching in my files this am and then
  emailed this on to Master A.
We think this is the elusive post about the pastry.
It's in a footnote to Le Menagier.

As he is in the midst of his New Year's preparations, he asked that I
post it.

See below

Johnnae

> From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
> Date: February 17, 2004 8:35:37 AM EST
> To: Cooks within the SCA
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Standing crust
>
> Also sprach Alex Clark:
>> At 11:34 PM 2/16/2004 -0500, Doc wrote:
>>> Cut the shortening into the flour, mix in water a bit at a time,
>>> roll out. . . .
>>
>> Does anyone know of any period documentation for cutting fat into
>> dry ingredients like this? The earliest pastry recipe that I know
>> of with cut fat is from Digby, and the fat is mixed into the dough,
>> not into the dry ingredients.
>
> There's a French pastry recipe in verse, I think from the late
> fourteenth century, here:
>
> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/menagier11.html#English
>
> My own English translation of it is, at best, an alpha version, but
> it speaks of the dough being a bit rough ("Les croutes, un poi
> rudemont"), which might argue in favor of fat being broken or cut
> in. Elsewhere in the recipe there's a reference to diced fat bacon,
> but it's not absolutely clear to me whether this is an ingredient in
> the pastry of in the filling of the pastry.
>
> I believe there's a recipe in Markham, which, while late, is earlier
> than Digby, anyway, for making rough coffins (essentially preserving
> containers) for meats, out of rye. I'll see if I can find it.
>
> Adamantius

Oh, that's lovely, thanks so much. What an interesting recipe.
Angharad