[Sca-cooks] Verjuice was Re: Next project, next recipe II.Ambroyno- price questions

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sat Feb 20 14:03:11 PST 2010

I take Bear's meaning that modern cooks (i.e. not SCA people) tend to reach
for the lemon juice when then want something lightly sour in a dish -- in
much the same way that a mediaeval cook would tend to reach for the verjuice.

In period "verjuice" could also be made from amything that was sour.  We have
specific mention also of sorrel and gooseberries.

The verjuice that was made from unripe grapes was farmed on a large scale.
Farmers grew particular varieties of grapes specifically for making into
verjuice.

Thorvald