[Sca-cooks] Table Fat, was Pie dough

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 22 14:58:02 PST 2010

Aelina wrote:
>  I had an animated discussion with an octogenarian regarding the
>  difference between "table fat" vs "lard" in a recipe. We were trying to
>  find a modern ingredient for table fat. Anyone else heard of "table fat?"

Back in the old days (like a few decades ago :) Jews who kept Kosher
would often used chicken fat at the table when they couldnt use
butter. The fat was gently rendered, often with a little minced
onion, then strained and cooled.

I made some once for a meaty meal with bread, as an experiment, and
it was pretty good... better with a little salt added.
--
Someone sometimes called Urtatim