[Sca-cooks] verjuice

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Wed Feb 24 03:02:00 PST 2010

Message: 8
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:50:36 -0500
From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Next project,	next recipe II.Ambroyno-
	price/verjuice

On Feb 22, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Yup...it's great stuff.  Most of what you find is made with white grapes.
> However, in my recent search for a source, I found a verjus made from red
> grapes.  I used it to build the marinade I made for the lamb roasts for
next
> weekend.  Marinade tasted marvelous...a somewhat richer taste than what I
> had done in the past with white verjus.

Many people don't realize that white wines (and apparently verjuice) can
often be made with red grapes; and that red wines are colored to some
extent, at least, with the skins of the grapes, which, if the must is
drained off the skins quickly enough, changes the character of the product.

Is red wine grape verjuice red or green/yellow? I mean, the "ver" in
"verjuice" does denote green, after all...

Adamantius (still haven't found Andre Simon, will look for it again later)

You can get red verjuice here. It is pink like a rosé. It is made from
Sangiovese grapes I think.
In fact you can see it here:
http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/products/details/?Item=PrdctsVerjuice
The bottle on the website is a much clearer pink than the ones I have seen
in the shops.

Angharad