[Sca-cooks] Pomegranate Preservation

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 25 15:30:39 PST 2010

Katherine posted:

<<< I'm so new on this list that I am skerit to post, >>>

Welcome! Most of us don't bite.

<<< I've volunteered to teach at An Tir's Culinary Symposium next
November and
took on the task of translating the Wecker cookbook - the first printed
cookbook written by a woman. >>>

When was this? Was it in period? We may have discussed this cookbook
before, but I don't remember.

<<< I've been posting stuff on my LJ but have
such a steep learning curve that I have a lot of reading to do to even
hang with this august crowd here :) >>>

This group is a good place to check out your suppositions and to find
possible answers to your questions.

  <<< Howsomever, there are two instances of pomegranate preservation
I have
found in my small stash of 15th and 16th century materials so far.
One is
in the Staindl cookbook which tells how to candy pomegranate rinds and
use
them as pomegranate substitute. >>>

I don't think I've seen this discussed. I do have this file in the
FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium. Any additional info, such as
the information in this Staindl cookbook or your comments/redactions
of it would be of interest.

candied-peels-art (16K)  3/21/06    "Candied Fruit Peel" by Dame Alys
Katharine.
candied-peels-msg (58K)  2/ 2/07    Candied fruit peels. A late period
treat.

  <<< The Wecker cookbook has extensive instructions for preserving
pomegranates
up to a year.  The rinds are slit in an 8 piece star, leaving the
insides
intact with the skin attached to the bottom so as not to disturb the
juice.
   Anna says this make the
pomegranate clear so you can see the pips, and that it can be kept a
whole
year >>>

<<< Sounds a bit like pomegranate molasses maybe? >>>

Sounds more like a candied fruit or a sucket than a jelly, marmalade
or molasses.

candied-fruit-msg (34K)  2/ 2/07    Period candied fruit. Recipes.
suckets-msg        (7K)  4/ 1/02    Spices, fruit or fruit peel in a
sugar syrup

<<< As soon as I have the time, if you want, I'll post the whole thing
on the
LJ with a line by line translation.  >>>

Please do!

Or I'd be willing to work with you to get your translation into the
Florilegium. My standard practice is that the copyright remains with
the author and you can update it as needed.  I like to think this is a
good way to get your work out where folks can use it and get some
feedback to improve it as you learn more. In the meantime folks can be
learning from and using what is there.

There are several authors and translators here who have their work in
the Florilegium, so I'm sure they'll be happy to give you their
opinion on how they think this has worked for them.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com