[Sca-cooks] Elderberries was Theatre food in Elizabethan England

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Feb 26 19:44:08 PST 2010

> Seems like we need to go to the source to determine how they did the
> botanical identifications.  Then perhaps deconstruct,  "CSI fashion" from
> the evidence, what other ingredients were in those pies.  Determining the
> ingredients list we can then attempt to reconstruct the pies.  I only hope
> that they were not working with the long preserved end products of human
> digestion.
>
> Brings to mind the old very lame paleontologist joke about the graduate
> student who had misplaced his coprolites.  When show a box containing the
> specimens he was asked "are these what you are looking for."  He replied
> "Yes... my feces exactly."
>
> Daniel

Davidson in the Oford Companion to Food gives an interesting quote (American
Botanist, 1905) about elderberry pie not appealing to many palates due to
the rank eldery flavor.  A pie needs to be made from full ripe berries that
have been picked and dried.  The period recipes I've encountered call for
the flowers rather than the berries.

Bear