[Sca-cooks] Le Menegier on carrots, Does anyone have documentation on Egyptian carrots

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Feb 28 06:40:06 PST 2010

While carrots are grown in modern Egypt, historical references are few and
far between and likely to be very questionable.  John has probably covered
that far more thoroughly than I.  What I'm looking for now are references to
carrot seeds from archeobotanical reports, but there isn't much readily
available.  I haven't had time yet to peruse the current research of The
Oriental Institute in Chicago.  I've been chasing references to various
foodstuffs in Hakluyt.

It also occurs to me that cultivated carrots may not have come to Egypt
until the Islamic expansion and that the limited rainfall might not support
wild carrots.  If the latter is true, then it might be possible to determine
the southernmost extent of the wild carrot by examining the paleobotany of
Neolithic sites in the Levant.  Not a task I plan to tackle anytime soon.

Bear