[Sca-cooks] When is it Plagiarism and When is it a Redaction?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Feb 5 07:52:06 PST 2010

Have they published their version? Do they want to publish their
version?
Compare to the Wortes recipe here:
http://www.godecookery.com/chaucer/chfeast8.htm
  file http://www.al-sahid.org/archives/2006%2002.doc.

Or go back to the original version published by Hieatt and Butler
in Pleyn Delit which appeared more than 30 years ago.

Where did they start? Did they go back to Harl. 4016 and the original
recipe?
(Did they know it's in Pleyn Delit? Did they do a recipe search?)

Buttered Wortes. ¶ Take al maner of good herbes that thou may gete,
and do bi ham as is forsaid; putte hem on̄ þe fire witℏ faire
water; put þere-to clarefied buttur a grete quantite. Whan̄ thei
ben̄ boyled ynogℏ, salt hem; late none otemele come there-in. Dise
brede smaƚƚ in disshes, and powre on̄ þe wortes, and serue hem
fortℏ. Two fifteenth-century cookery-books.

Their version should probably expand and improve upon the modern
redactions
if they want any legitimate hope of calling the recipe their own.
Do they offer a commentary? Which greens? Which work best? Can you
open up a packaged salad
mix and make this dish?

Add timing instructions. How long does it take? What do you cook them
in?
Large skillet? Saucepan? Do you serve them in a flat dish or a 2 quart
bowl?
You should always also wash the greens/vegies or say "washed".

And why did they substitute olive oil for the butter?

Johnnae